Unidentified subject!

Hi all,
I am currently having problems with my kernel. The issues i have encountered is when i wish to recompile. After i have done tis and am reloading everything is fine until the kernels modules are loaded. This is when all hell breaks loose. The script "modutils" returns a heap of errors which says in short that it can't load the modules. I did some searching and found that these errors begin when "depmod -a" is executed. Below is the output depmod returns (shortened since it does this for ALL modules)

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/fs/smbfs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/dummy.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_user.o depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_ftp.o depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_irc.o depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_quake.o depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_vdolive.o depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_cuseeme.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/misc/ipx.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/misc/joy-sidewinder.o

since i first encountered this problem i have tried recompiling and reinstalling everything to try and curb the problem. Iv'e also done alot of mucking around with the module handling programs (insmod depmod) and the module's conf files. I have discovered the module loading problem only occurs when the modules are copied over during the kernel building process ( the "make modules" and make "modules_install" in particular) these errors don't crop up on the installed kernel except for one module called unix.o . it says it has a problem with kerneld or something.

I am using the kernel source provided by my debian package v2.2.18pre21 and the current kernel is also the same version (technically this should mean that the modules from the source package are exactly the same but for some reason they just don't like each other.

On a side note i am also looking for a way to compile DVD support into my system but don't have the udf.o module or the option during the config process to do this. any suggestions?
					Thanks for any help.