Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

Am 12. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Tommy McDaniel so:

> In order to do that, I assume I need to download the dpkg-dev package by
> hand and install it by hand. And not only it, but also the four packages
> on which it depends, and perhaps the recommended and two suggested
> ones. Is this correct? How would I do that, download them to my Windows

Maybe you could download them to your fat partition, then mount it and make
a soft link from /var/cache/apt/archives/ to the dir where you have the
debs. Don't know for sure this would work, but I think it would.

I would still suggest moving them from the fat dir rather than making the
soft link, but that is an extra step and takes more time. OTOH, it's less
likely to break :).

To take advantage of apt-get, though, you still need the Packages files.
Don't know if you need the Release files as well.

Anybody know of something he can run from m$ to get those reliably?
Minimally I'd think that since they don't move it could be done with an
autoftp grabber.

http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages
http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Release

Those are example files from /var/lib/apt/lists/ ( /var/state/apt/lists/ if
you're running a vanilla potato ). One the ftp/http sites the _ represent /,
e.g.:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages

I've found that Packages files seem to actually be Packages.gz files. Or at
least that's what I had to setup before apt would recognize it as Packages
:(.

The best thing is still to arrange direct Internet access when it's booted
to Linux ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.