Re: which rc file for hdparm commands?

"Gladimir" <listmgr@san.rr.com> writes:

> I am slowly working my way through the HOWTO files on the linux
> documentation site, beginning with Config-HOWTO, which recommends starting
> with my kernel and hard disk performance.
>
> The problem is that section 2.6 recommends adding hdparm commands to the
> following file:
>   /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
>
> Of course, I have no such file on my system, and it would be futile to visit
> all 7 of the rc#.d directories and grep for the hdparm command because that
> command was not on my system until a few moments ago.

Create a new file and put it in /etc/init.d/, then use update-rc.d(8)
to set it to run at whichever run-level(s) you deem appropriate.

For more comprehensive information on how the init scripts work see
<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit>.

--

Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net>