Re: Mouse problem

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:09:55AM -0400, Cheng-Dar K Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am a newbie of Debian.  I tried to install the potato version of
> Debian for like the nth time and still couldn't get my mouse worked.  The
> mouse doesn't follow my hand motion and moves erratically on the screen
> in X.  The protocol in XF86Config is "PS/2" and the device driver for the
> mouse is "/dev/psaux", which is the configuration info I got when I
> installed RH 6.2.

Uninstalling gpm is one solution.

Otherwise the first task is to ignore X and find a device/mouse-type
combo that get gpm is working acceptably in the standard terminal. The
gpm settings then determine how your mouse should be set up in X.

In general, if repeating is enabled, you should a) use /dev/gpmdata in
the XF86Config file, and b) set the mouse type to match the gpm repeat
type. Setting the repeat type to 'raw' and using the actual mouse-type
in X is the first thing to try, but if it doesn't work you should try a
standard repeat type such as 'ms' or 'ms3' and use the corresponding
Protocol listing in your XF86Config file.

If gpm repeating is disabled X should use the actual mouse device
(e.g., /dev/psaux), and set the Protocol line in XF86Config to match
the mouse.

Be prepared to try several combinations before you find one that works,
just remember that any time you touch the gpm settings you should be
prepared to re-tweak X.

Paul