Mouse problem

Hi,
  I am a newbie of Debian.  I tried to install the potato version of
Debian for like the nth time and still couldn't get my mouse worked.  The
mouse doesn't follow my hand motion and moves erratically on the screen
in X.  The protocol in XF86Config is "PS/2" and the device driver for the
mouse is "/dev/psaux", which is the configuration info I got when I
installed RH 6.2.
  Every time after I installed Debian, I tried to kill gpm in a different
console and the mouse worked fine.  But when I reboot the system, the
mouse stopped working and reverted to erratic motion.  The problem
continues even after I stop gpm.  I looked through mouse HOWTO
documentation in linuxdoc.org and tried everything I could possibly find,
but still couldn't find a solution.  I'm kinda frustruated at this
point.  So if anyone can give me some thoughts, it would be great!

Thanks,
Kevin Lee