Re: Thin-X-Client-Laptop

> I want to run X-Applications on my (old) laptop (486; Debian 2.0) while connected (via PLIP) to the Server (Pentium, Suse 7.1).
>
> On the laptop I installed the X-server - that means - I am able to move the mouse-cursor on the screen only (no menues, no window).
> On the server I installed the whole X-stuff (KDE, applications).
> In textmode I am able to ping and telnet the server.

Never even thought of that. Thanks!

I am guessing here, but in your ~/.xsession file, put

export DISPLAY=<thinclienthost>:0
xhost +<remotehost>
exec ssh -l <remotehostusername> <remotehost> <windowmanagername>

You could perhaps try rsh instead of ssh to speed things up. But I cn't
remeber whether rsh accepts arguments the same was as ssh.

So for me, I would go

export DISPLAY=scuzzie:0
xhost +suphys
exec ssh -l tcon suphys fvwm

> What do I have to do now? - as I am a beginner in Linux please send me 'foolproof`' instructions and hints.
>
> BTW: Is there any chance for a lowmem.bin for Debian 2.2?

Um, what is lowmem.bin? Is this a DOS file?

--
TimC -- http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~tcon/

I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under
stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when