Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

Thanks for the tremendous response to my initial question.  As many of
you suspected, the sysadmin mainly needed to know that I was more than a
casual user of linux.  I politely, and deferentially, explained that I
would only need to run an ssh server, and that I am quite conscientious
when it comes to security.  I also agreed to give him root access, and
agreed that running periodic port scans was a good idea.  He was very
cool about everything.  He actually uses linux himself at home.  He
explained that his boss, an administrator (the business kind, not the
technical kind), was the one being heavy handed about linux.  Part of
the reason is also because they are a little shell-shocked from a recent
barrage of problems with people running MacOS X improperly.

Basically, I tried to give him as much information as possible to help
him make the case to his boss that my linux box would not be a threat -
at least no more than any other computer on the network.  It sounds like
I will not have to sign the agreement stating my responsibility for any
financial loss if my box were hacked.  However, this is not yet
certain.  I have decided, with the advice of many on this group, to
refuse to sign if they ask.  The sysadmin agreed that it is a foolish
thing to do, as even the most secure boxes are never totally secure.
Again, it is his boss that is using this as a scare tactic.

I think, all things considered, it is a happy ending (or is it just the
beginning?).  The only thing I am still disappointed about is they won't
let me mount unix shares via samba or nfs.  He suggested that this is
something they will eventually have to change as more people move to
linux.  I hope so.

In any event, thanks to everyone who offered advice and support.  You
were a great help.

Regards,
Brian

--