devel libc6 hosed my sendmail

I upgraded my system to the newest libc6 in order to get iptables to
work, and discovered 2 things:
1) iptables still doesn't work
and
2) sendmail is broken now, because of the berkeley DB 2 problem.

But I can't just use apt or dpkg or something to go back to the
stable version of libc6, because everything and its mother depends on
ip.  When I tried, the list of things that would have to be removed
included all of my shells, everything in /usr/local, basically
everything except the kernel itself.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to recover from this, preferably
one that doesn't require reinstalling teh whole system ground up.

Thanks,

Ian

--

ian@onepost.net
773 667 2550

Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.