Re: Network throughput too low?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:21:27 -0400
"Michael B. Taylor" <mtaylor@vorticity.engr.utk.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 07:04:16PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > A minor question, possibly OT: for some reason I'm getting a very low
> > network throughput between my laptop and my desktop machine. I just
> ran a
> > test with netpipe-tcp, and the maximum speed is some 15Mbps. As I have
> > 3Com 905C in the desktop box and a 3Com 574 PCMCIA card on the laptop
> > (both are 10/100 NICs) I would have expected a bit more speed here.
> Also,
> > my laptop complains about dropped interrupts during the test, and a
> quick
> > look with ifconfig shows that it is having buffer overruns. Is this
> > related? Anyone got a clue as to what is going on and how I can boost
> my
> > network performance?
> >
> I suspect a driver issue.
>
> Some NIC's are better supported than others under Linux.  Perhaps the
> biggest reason for this is the varying degree of support that Linux
> recieves different the chipset manufacturers.
>
> People who need/want/demand near theoretical peak  performance from fast
> ethernet under linux are usually rather picky about the NIC's they use.
> Back in ancient times, when dinosaurs roamed, and there was a company
> called
> DEC who made a processor called Alpha, the "Tulip" was the chip of
> choice.
> I really have no idea what the performance champion is wrt stuff you can
> actually buy today, but im told that
> inexpensive Realtek based cards are perhaps the best bang for the buck.

Aye,

I thought of that. That's why I am running 3Com NICs in the first place,
as they are *very* well supported, and supposed to give good performance.
I've seen benchmarks on the web, done with netpipe as well, that show that
they generally are able to saturate the link.

> Suggested possible approaches:
>
> Upgrade your kernel, hence your nic drivers if you are not using a
> fairly
> current kernel, and keep an eye on release notes of new kernels as they
> are released.

Hmmm, 2.2.19 on my desktop machine, 2.4.6 on the laptop. should be recent
enough, right?

> Or, change your hardware.

See above. I also have a RealTek 8139 on the desktop machine, with the
same problem if I try to use that. *If* it is a hardware issue, then it is
my poor 3Com 574 on the laptop.

> Or, just deal with it.

It is not much of a problem no, but I did not invest a lot of money in
good, well supported network hardware to have it run at about 17% of
theoretical maximum. It is irritating, to say the least.

> Other possabilities:  cable issues, router/switch issue

Hmmm, it is a straight crosslink UTP-45 cable. I haven't invested in a 3rd
PC yet, so no switches here. Question: This is 8 meters of simple
crosslink cable. Does the cable length influence perfomance somehow?

> Good luck
> Mike

Ok, sounds like I need it :)
Thanks,

Mart

--
Baby even the losers get lucky sometimes
Even the losers keep a little bit of pride

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Even The Losers