Network throughput too low?

Folks,

A minor question, possibly OT: for some reason I'm getting a very low
network throughput between my laptop and my desktop machine. I just ran a
test with netpipe-tcp, and the maximum speed is some 15Mbps. As I have a
3Com 905C in the desktop box and a 3Com 574 PCMCIA card on the laptop
(both are 10/100 NICs) I would have expected a bit more speed here. Also,
my laptop complains about dropped interrupts during the test, and a quick
look with ifconfig shows that it is having buffer overruns. Is this
related? Anyone got a clue as to what is going on and how I can boost my
network performance?

TIA,

Mart

--
Baby even the losers get lucky sometimes
Even the losers keep a little bit of pride

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Even The Losers