Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

In article <[🔎] 878zhvb27a.fsf@wesley.springies.com>,
Alan Shutko  <ats@acm.org> wrote:
>DvB <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> writes:
>
>> The only other similar problem I can think of is vmware related.
>
>There's also the possibility that they're thinking about DHCP.  A
>number of admins can tell stories of the time someone was trying to
>set up a DHCP server for one of their interfaces, and they
>misconfigured it so that it served DHCP addresses on the external
>interface, thus breaking things.

Yes, that happened here at Cistron a couple of times. The master
SMB browser takeover or whatever it's called is also something
we've seen on the local LAN.

However, in all cases these were wrongly configured *windows* machines.
We've never had any trouble with any Linux clients on the network.

Mike.
--
"dselect has a user interface which scares small children"
	-- Theodore Tso, on debian-devel