Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

DvB <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> writes:

> The only other similar problem I can think of is vmware related.

There's also the possibility that they're thinking about DHCP.  A
number of admins can tell stories of the time someone was trying to
set up a DHCP server for one of their interfaces, and they
misconfigured it so that it served DHCP addresses on the external
interface, thus breaking things.

In general, if you aren't running a service, there's no way you can
confuse the rest of the network that you're the authoritative server
for that service.  If you keep it to ssh and ftp[1], you shouldn't
have problems.

Footnotes:
[1]  I'd ditch ftp, if possible, and use scp.  Since you're not doing
anon-ftp, I don't see any reason to leave it open... it tends to give
more security problems.

Good news.  Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.