Re: setting up cvs server: connection refused SOLVED

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:17:30AM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> Okay, just looked up some more infos.  Seems there's a cvspserver
> wrapper in Debian already (a Bourne script) in /usr/sbin/cvs-pserver.
>
> So, then regular /etc/inetd.conf has something like:
>
> cvspserver stream  tcp nowait  root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/cvs-pserver
>
> It looks at /etc/cvs-pserver.conf for a colon separted list of
> repositories, building up the "--allow-root" argument and finally
> exec'ing "/usr/bin/cvs ...".  Somehow, that seemed to work okay
> with a /var/lib/cvs/CVSROOT/password file containing an entry like:
>
> anonymous:
>
> And, the /var/lib/cvs/CVSROOT/config file has system authentication
> turned off.
>
> I think the key to the shell script working is the directive:
>
> unset HOME
>
> I think cvs looks at the $HOME variable, which will be /root and it gets
> confused.  There's some mention of this in the docs and in
> /usr/share/doc/cvs/README.Debian.
>
> My understanding is, you probably want to be using ssh and :ext: method
> rather than the ":pserver:" method for read/write repositories.  But, I
> guess, that configuration is a little different.

but from what i've read, you gotta "cvs -d :pserver:.... login"
first, THEN you can "cvs -d :ext:.... whatever" later.

but when it said 'connection refused' it meant it, since i was
trying to connect on my external ip, but i'd told xinetd.conf to
bind pserver listenings to 192.168.1.1 -- DUH.

i'm feeling MUCH better now.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #48 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: