Re: setting up cvs server: connection refused

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:13:06PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> 	$ telnet 192.168.1.1 2401
> 	Trying 192.168.1.1...
> 	Connected to 192.168.1.1.
> 	Escape character is '^]'.
> 	hello
> 	cvs [pserver aborted]: bad auth protocol start: hello
>
> 	Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> so it's apparently connecting, but not authenticating. (right?)

Looks right.

> the <CVSROOT>/passwd file looks like
> 	-rw-r--r--    1 will     Jul 10 00:27 CVSROOT/passwd
> containing only
> 	will:LQ8t.ApJDZE.g
>
> maybe somehow the cvs server side is looking in the wrong place
> for the passwd file?
>
> if i just delete the CVSROOT/passwd file altogether should i be
> able to get in scot-free? i still get 'connection refused'
> regardless...

Without a CVSROOT/passwd file *and* lack of direction in the
CVSROOT/config file, my understanding is CVS falls back to
authentication via "passwd".  I just played with it without a
CVSROOT/passwd file and was able to login, but with the passwd
file, I couldn't authenticate ;(.  My error messages seemed to be
more explanatory (login failed).  Sorry, can't be more help...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>