Re: tty5 Displays Gibberish

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:13:58AM -0400, John Bacalle wrote:
> This happens from time to time to me, I hit some errand keystroke and
> the tty I'm on starts to display unintelligible junk. Login out does not
> help. ^L, or ^J do not help. As root, 'kill -9 {aberrant getty pid}'
> does not help. Sh_t, even 'killall getty' does not help; it restarts all
> tty's, but the funky displaying tty5 (in this case) continues displaying
> gibberish.
>
> I searched Usenet, to no avail. I searched the Debian archives, to no
> avail, searching is dead slow at the moment.
>
>    John

here are some relevant tips from my collection--

	DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #29 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
	:
	Console GIBBERISH? Suddenly you're seeing Russian or Korean or
	box-like text on your console or xterm (or rxvt) -- probably
	after viewing a binary file, right? :) Enter "reset" at the
	command line, or try embedding a control-O (letter oh) into
	your command-line prompt string:
		export PS1='^V^O\u@\h: \w$ '

	DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #30 from Wayne Topa <wtopa@dmcom.net>
	:
	Are you seeing GIBBERISH after viewing a binary file on your
	console (or in an xterm/rxvt window)? Add this to your ~/.inputrc
	file:
		"\033[[A": "reset\C-M"
	Now when you need a quick tty reset, just press F1 at the command
	prompt. Try "info rluserman" for more options.