tty5 Displays Gibberish

This happens from time to time to me, I hit some errand keystroke and
the tty I'm on starts to display unintelligible junk. Login out does not
help. ^L, or ^J do not help. As root, 'kill -9 {aberrant getty pid}'
does not help. Sh_t, even 'killall getty' does not help; it restarts all
tty's, but the funky displaying tty5 (in this case) continues displaying
gibberish.

I searched Usenet, to no avail. I searched the Debian archives, to no
avail, searching is dead slow at the moment.

   John

--
John Bacalle                                f./vm. +1 212 894 3778 x1057
(slrn:*v****:Tin) (Mutt:v*****:Pine) (GnuPG:v*****:PGP) (GNU:v*****:OSI) N