Xine(.deb) DVD Playback

Hi,

I have been using xine + libcss + xine_libcss_plugin to play dvds. The
quality of playback wasn't too great compared to previous setups (about 4
months ago) so i tried to install the .deb version of xine, and in the
process upgrade to testing.

But once installed I've seen that there is no support for dvd playback in the
debian version (e.g. no dvd button). Is this on purpose for legal reasons?
And would have changing to the .deb format actually have improved the
playback?

Thanks,

Hereward