Re: reiserfs

Thomas Zimmerman <thomas@zimres.net> writes:

> I have yet to have data loss on reiserfs...but have under ext2.

I have not had data loss with reiserfs, but I have had problems serving
a reiserfs over NFS. If I did a lot of activity on the NFS-mounted
filesystem, (i.e., mozilla cache, compiling software), eventually inodes
would disapper. I would get messages like

  kernel: vs-13048: reiserfs_iget: bad_inode. Stat data of (69038 69612) not found

The only solution was to reboot the nfs server and do a reiserfsck. This
was with 2.4.4, and all of the appropriate patches applied from
namesys.

Like I said, I never lost data; the reiserfsck would recover the lost
inodes. But, after reiserfs "lost" my home directory inode once, I
decided to try xfs instead, and haven't had any problems with it.

BTW, all of these systems were on my home network. I don't think that I
would recommend any journaled filesystem for critical production use
just yet, but I think that all three (xfs, reiserfs, and jfs) are
getting very close.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! Don't hit me!!  I'm in the
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | Twilight Zone!!!