3com NIC question

hey,

I have a 3c509 NIC.

I tried getting an IP for this NIC by using DHCP.  (I used dhcpcd)  But for
some odd reason, it wouldn't work, and so I stfw'ed. (searched the fucking
web).  looking at various mailing lists, i found that I wasn't the only one
with the same problem, the common solution was to disable PNP, and try again.
 I followed the steps as show, with no luck in the end.

I tried both linux-2.4.6, linux-2.2.19pre17 (The one with potatoe) and
various dhcp clients (dhcpcd, pump, etc) and none have worked.

But today, on the same box I tried installing openbsd, and I found that DHCP
worked right out of the install.  This made me wonder once again why it
doesn't work under linux.

Does anyone have any insight on why this happens only in linux?  (I tried
under windows, and it works there too)

Thanks

Sunny Dubey