Re: Thin-X-Client-Laptop

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 12:27:05PM +0200, Schoppitsch Dieter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to run X-Applications on my (old) laptop (486; Debian 2.0) while connected (via PLIP) to the Server (Pentium, Suse 7.1).
>
> On the laptop I installed the X-server - that means - I am able to move the mouse-cursor on the screen only (no menues, no window).
> On the server I installed the whole X-stuff (KDE, applications).

 You might want a less graphics-heavy window manager, since KDE makes
the X server work harder than e.g. WindowMaker or AfterStep.  I use
uwm or fvwm2 myself.

> In textmode I am able to ping and telnet the server.

 Use ssh.  It's a good idea to get in the habit of _always_ using ssh
instead of telnet, even when the extra security isn't needed.  A 486
is fast enough for login sessions, if not file copying and forwarding
X connections over ssh.

> What do I have to do now? - as I am a beginner in Linux please send me 'foolproof`' instructions and hints.

 First, you need to remove  -nolisten tcp  from
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc on the laptop, so you don't have to tunnel
connections over ssh.  (Not really needed on a point-to-point link
like plip).

 On the laptop, start X.  (like you've done, so you can move the mouse
around and stuff.)

 Use CTRL+ALT+F1 to get back to a text console.

 Log in to the fast machine, and run
DISPLAY=laptop:0 xterm &
(or wmaker, or some other window manager.  If your laptop doesn't suck
too much, you could run a lightweight window manager on it, like fvwm2
or something.)

 Use CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back to X.

 Enjoy.

 (Someone else posted directions for using XDMCP (X -query ...), if
you want to run xdm/kdm on the fast machine.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y