Re: new to debian have questions

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 04:23:23AM -0700, abram olson wrote:
| I'm new to debain although I've been using mandrake
| and freebsd for a while.
|
| I have a few questions that I've been up all night
| trying to figure out.  Any help will be greatly
| appreciated!
|
| 1.  I prefer my machine to boot to a command prompt
| not to boot into X.  Its set up to be using gdm.
| Where do I change this?  Can someone point me to a
| good explanation of how debian boot scripts are
| organized?  Which init level is multi-user without X?
| In mandrake its 3 but that is halt in bsd if I'm
| remembering correctly so.....

Debian sets up all (except 0 1 6) runlevels the same.  It is up to you
to decide which runlevel you want to mean what.  Simply remove the
link to /etc/init.d/gdm from the runlevel you don't want it to run
from.  (ie  'rm /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm')  Alternatively you can use the
'update-rc.d' command and give it a bunch of command line arguments
and it will take care of the links for you (see the man page).

| 2.  apt-get.  wow.  how cool is that?  Now, if my
| machine only had internet access.  I'm downloading all
| the packages I want to use that weren't on the cd on
| my friends dialup and then moving them to my machine.
| How can I set up apt-get to use a local directory (in
| addition to the cd's)?  or do I have to dpkg -i all of

To use apt-get you need a Packages.gz file and things must reside
under a certain directory hierarchy (this is how it knows whether the
package is in woody or potato and whether it is in main, non-us,
non-free, etc).  dpkg -i is fine, just put all the ones you need on
the same command so that you don't get wild dependency errors.  You
can still use apt-get to remove stuff.

| em?  To complicate matters I prefer to build from
| source.  I've got source of a whole slew of programs I
| want to install and I can't make use of them ;-)  I
| feel dumb.

All I know about building from source (to a .deb on Debian) is that
'apt-get source' works :-).  I haven't gotten there yet.

| 3.  Any idea why mouse wheel works for most everything
| except quake3?  That made a beginner of me again too.

Uhh, maybe quake3 is braindamaged?  I don't have quake3, but I have
noticed that some programs/toolkits completely ignore the scroll
wheel.  (BTW at work here we have quake3 on a couple of winNT/2k boxes
and a Mac (OS9 I think) and the scrolling is nice on the PCs.  The Mac
has that really small and stupidly shaped mouse with only 1 button!)

HTH,
-D