new to debian have questions

I'm new to debain although I've been using mandrake
and freebsd for a while.

I have a few questions that I've been up all night
trying to figure out.  Any help will be greatly
appreciated!

1.  I prefer my machine to boot to a command prompt
not to boot into X.  Its set up to be using gdm.
Where do I change this?  Can someone point me to a
good explanation of how debian boot scripts are
organized?  Which init level is multi-user without X?
In mandrake its 3 but that is halt in bsd if I'm
remembering correctly so.....

2.  apt-get.  wow.  how cool is that?  Now, if my
machine only had internet access.  I'm downloading all
the packages I want to use that weren't on the cd on
my friends dialup and then moving them to my machine.
How can I set up apt-get to use a local directory (in
addition to the cd's)?  or do I have to dpkg -i all of
em?  To complicate matters I prefer to build from
source.  I've got source of a whole slew of programs I
want to install and I can't make use of them ;-)  I
feel dumb.

3.  Any idea why mouse wheel works for most everything
except quake3?  That made a beginner of me again too.

Those are my major hurdles right now.  I've been
reading the archives for this list and searching the
net for answers all night but I'm not having much
luck.  Probably should get some sleep or eat something
huh?

I'm really enjoying debain though.  Its....elegent.
Can't think of any other way to describe it.

Thanks folks!  Feel free to bash the newbie for asking
dumb questions now.

Abe

=====
Jesus saves.
Allah forgives,
Cthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.