Re: video solved, sound kinks

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, patrick gray wrote:

> first of all, thank you to everyone who responded to my first question
> regarding the xserver, you were right, running svga was bad, i am now happily
> typing away in KDE much to my delight.

Hey...running SVGA isn't always bad...this cirrus logic 5434 isn't
supported by an accelerated server! :P

> my current problem is small, but i can't seem to make it go away.  i have
> compiled kernel version 2.4.6 with my machine specs right into it, so boot
> time is faster and all my hardware works.  sound works as root, but as my
> normal user account it flubs.  the sound programs either say they don't
> recognize a device or that the device is not responding.  if i flip into root
> and run the same program it has no problems!!  is there something wrong with
> my user permissions?  i appreciate the input!

Yes, it is indeed a permissions issue. Lower the permissions on
/dev/mixer, /dev/dsp, and so on, depending on what your sound card
utilizes. An alternate, more secure method would be to include those files
in a group called SOUND and add the users you wish to have access to the
device added to this group as well.

> please reply directly to me, i know it's a hassle but i am not subscribed to
> the list :-/

Oh I see. You want our help but you won't even subscribe. Pshaw. Just why
aren't you subscribed? :P

-z-