Re: Scroll Wheel

On 07/09/01 16:09:37 -0700, Mike Pfleger wrote:
> Sorry to intrude, but I couldn't pass this up.  I'm running testing
> and I'm having trouble getting my USB mouse scroll wheel to be seen.
>
> I have this setup in my XF86Config-4 file, but nothing seems to
> register the scrollwheel.  I even tried xev, and the scroll wheel
> only generates an event when pressed.  Rolling it generates no
> events that xev reports.
>
> I am using a 3 button USB Logitech mouse with the combo scroll-
> wheel and center button.

It sounds like you have the same type of mouse as I do. I haven't put
much effort into figuring out how to add support for the wheel, but
this thread prompted me to try a few of the suggestions. Here's the
Pointer Section of my XF86Config-4 file:

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
#    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

# Added by Mark Wagnon on 7/9/01
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Buttons" "5"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

The rest of the section is omitted, since it's all commented out in my
file. Anyway, I added the noted entries one at a time until I got it
to work. I started with the ZAxisMapping, then Buttons, and finally
the new Protocol. After changing the protocol I was able to scroll
within gmc and Opera. I'll check out a few more in a bit, but I can't
believe it was this simple.

I hope this helps you get yours going.

Good luck!
--