Docbook, MathML and Debian

Does anyone know how to process a docbook
article, containing MathML, under Debian (please)?

I'm attempting to use sgmltools to write a docbook article with equations marked up in MathML.  It
appears that the sgmltools which come with Debian
do not support MathML.  I've seen hints on the web
that a guy called Peter Schrammel modified sgmltools
to handle MathML, but this does not seem to be in
Debian.

1) Is "sgmltools" the right thing to publish
   docbook with?  Is there a better alternative,
   which supports MathML?

2) Is there a way to get the sgmltools in Debian
   to support MathML?

3) Are there any plans to include MathML support
   out of the "box"?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, which have
been answered before, but I've been searching for a
month to no avail.

Thanks for your help
John Dalton