applying a patch to nullmailer

1. Early in June, Noah Meyerhans gave me advice on how to make a .deb
using 'apt-get source -b xxxx' in conjunction with 'deb-src http://
debian.xxxx ' in /etc/apt/sources.list.

2. I needed to do things that way since the only .deb available to me
required glibc2.2 which I did not have and to compile from
the original source (not available from debian.org) left me with a
program not 'seen' by dpkg.

3. Unfortunately, the original source has a bug which means my smtp
server will not accept mail sent from the program. I've been very
fortunate to have been given assistance by someone who after
tracking down the problem has produced a patch which will correct
things.

Now, I have the patch and the .deb created by 1. above and do not
understand how apply the patch. Can anyone help please?

It tranpires that, quite independently, someone else has filed a bug
report with bugs.debian.org, so I presume that in due course the
source on debian.org will be amended. However, I'd prefer not to
wait for this to happen.

I can patch a kernel, but this is another kettle of fish and way
beyond me at present.

Thanks,

John.

PS. I run Potato 2.2 r3.