Who's got a cheap scanner working?

I'd like to add a cheap scanner (probably USB) to my machine, running
debian potato. I don't need to do anything fancy, but would like basic
scanning to work. It looks like I can get more than enough power from
something like the Visioneer Photoport 7700 or the UMAX Astra 3400. Can
anyone share successful experiences with a USB scanner?

Thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA