printing

 JC> Newbie here...

 JC> I've used unix systems for years and am certainly not an expert.
 JC> I'm new to Linux and just installed it on my pc. Why can't I print?
 JC> There is no lp, lpr command. There is a /dev/lp0 device and
 JC> my printer was recognized during installation.
 JC> I found documentation that said I needed to install a
 JC> package like LPD, but haven't found any packages that
 JC> refer to printer in dselect.

 JC> I think I'm going down the wrong path with this print
 JC> thing.

 JC> Any suggestions for getting print capability?

First do a "apt-get install lpr apsfilter". Then run apsfilterconfig.
You should be able to manage to do the configuration by yourself. If
apsfilterconfig reports that he can not find a filter for your printer,
just write down its name and apt-get it. Then check for /etc/printcap.
There are your printer names. Among them there is raw. Type "echo something
> text" then a "lpr -Praw text". A paper containing "something" should come
out. :) Probably someone could give you a more sofisticated instructions,
but this worked for me, so I see no reason that it shouldn`t work for you.