Re: xv alternatives

Joe Bouchard <joe@bouchard.com> writes:

> I don't know if it is quite the same, but I use "display" and "convert"
> that comes in the "imagemagick" package.  imagemagick is free as long as
> you use the libmagick4g library instead of the libmagick4g-lzw (which
> comes from non-free).  I didn't make a concious effort to choose the
> free version so it probably is the default.

I haven't tried imagemagick recently, but it's crashed my system
enough times over the years that I avoid it whenever possible.  Unless
it has changed recently, it doesn't check memory.  If it runs out of
memory it will keep trying until the system daemons run out of memory
and start crashing.  I compared it against xv, xloadimage, and gimp,
and all of the others would abort an operation and give a warning when
they ran out of memory.  Of course, if you have *lots* of memory, then
it's probably safe enough.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org