using send-hook in mutt

hi all,
has anyone managed to configure mutt to GPG sign a message based on
the recipient? using the line

  send-hook '~C debian.*' "set pgp_autosign"

i can get mutt to do it when i start it as 'mutt debian' (debian is an
entry in my aliases file), but not when i simply enter 'debian' in the
to line of the email as i compose it (with headers) in vi. the alias
is expanded as soon as i close the message, getting ready to press 'y'
in mutt to send it.

any ideas?

today, i will gladly share my experience and advice,
for there are no sweeter words than "i told you so."