postfix install: /etc/aliases.db: Invalid argument (???)

When attempting to install postfix I get the following error:

postalias: fatal: open database /etc/aliases.db: Invalid argument
dpkg: error processing postfix (--install):
 postfix

The error occurs with postfix version 0.0.19991231pl11-1.

I thought that perhaps it has something to do with libdb-- I have both libdb2
and libdb3 installed (???)

I recently asked apt to upgrade to libc6 2.2.3-6, and along with it libdb
upgraded to 2:2.7.7-4. I don't know if that is relevant.

Is this a known issue? What is the problem likely to be, and how should I go
about getting it fixed?