Re: Digital camera and Linux

<m_ilya@agava.com> said:

> > > Ilya> Or any advice on another relatively cheap and good
digital
> > > Ilya> camera which can be used with Linux?
> > >
> > > Have you considered the Sony Mavica series? They write picture
files
> > > to standard VFAT filesystem floppy disks
> >
> > I have wondered about this.  I fill up a 32MB memory card pretty
> > quickly when taking pictures at 3.1Mpixels.  A single picture is
> > usually around 1.1 to 1.3 MB, so that would be one floopy per
> > picture.  I wouldn't want to (1) carry that many floppies, (2) to
> > forced to change the floppy after every picture and (3) feed-in
> > all these (slow reading) floppies to my PC later.
> >
> > This made me think the floppy thing was not viable.  How does it
> > work out for you?
>
> I've seen a review for a camera (by Sony I think) that uses LS-120
disks
> and talks via USB.  Nice sounding thing is you can also use the
LS-120
> drive for anything.  But, anything with a drive will probably suck
more
> battery.
>
> I've used several different Epson cameras with good success...

I'll toss in my 2 cents here. <g>  I've used the Sony MVC-FD81
and it worked just fine.  You can fit around 10 - 40 pics per
disk, depending on the resolution.  Mpeg movie is about 1 min
per disk, with sound. (never used the sound feature though)

All in all, they are nice cameras and easy to transfer to
you're box, since it is floppy disk.  The battery is
rechargable, which is nice.  I'd recommend 2 batteries
though.

Take a look at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=125324748

(as an example)