Re: Digital camera and Linux

    Brian> My advice is to buy a camera that uses media that is
    Brian> supported in Linux.  I own a Kodak DC280, which uses
    Brian> CompactFlash media, and a USB card reader that is perfectly
    Brian> supported in Linux.  I never connect the camera directly; I
    Brian> just pop the media into the card reader.  The reader is
    Brian> about 10x faster than USB transfers directly from the
    Brian> camera and about 100x faster than serial transfers from the
    Brian> camera.  Saves the camera battery life too.

The same CompactFlash cards are also used by other brands of Cameras
too, eg. at least some Canon cameras.

While I could use the USB reader, my preference is to use the PCMCIA
adaptor (because it is small and works with my laptop), which works
fine under Linux.

Just remember to unmount the file system before ejecting the card ;-).

However, I have heard that somebody else was having problems obtaining
the PCMCIA adaptor (I can't verify this myself), and when I got mine,
it was the only one in the shop...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>