Re: Digital camera and Linux

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:39:20AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> > Ilya> Or any advice on another relatively cheap and good digital
> > Ilya> camera which can be used with Linux?
> >
> > Have you considered the Sony Mavica series? They write picture files
> > to standard VFAT filesystem floppy disks
>
> I have wondered about this.  I fill up a 32MB memory card pretty
> quickly when taking pictures at 3.1Mpixels.  A single picture is
> usually around 1.1 to 1.3 MB, so that would be one floopy per
> picture.  I wouldn't want to (1) carry that many floppies, (2) to
> forced to change the floppy after every picture and (3) feed-in
> all these (slow reading) floppies to my PC later.
>
> This made me think the floppy thing was not viable.  How does it
> work out for you?

I've seen a review for a camera (by Sony I think) that uses LS-120 disks
and talks via USB.  Nice sounding thing is you can also use the LS-120
drive for anything.  But, anything with a drive will probably suck more
battery.

I've used several different Epson cameras with good success...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>