Re: printing

	Subject: printing
	Date: Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:05:04PM -0600

Quoting Jeff Conder(jeffconder@home.com):
> Newbie here...
>
> I've used unix systems for years and am certainly not an expert.
> I'm new to Linux and just installed it on my pc. Why can't I print?
> There is no lp, lpr command. There is a /dev/lp0 device and
> my printer was recognized during installation.
> I found documentation that said I needed to install a
> package like LPD, but haven't found any packages that
> refer to printer in dselect.
>
> I think I'm going down the wrong path with this print
> thing.
No your not.

> Any suggestions for getting print capability?
Read the package discriptions for the lpr, and magicfilter packages.
Then install them.  When they are installed, you will be able to
print.
The printing results will be better than you got used to on the 'old'
Unix systems.

If you are running Debian potato, then install the apt package.  I
find it, and its siblings (apt-cache), easier to use  when looking
for packages, then the deselect package.

> I'm heading to the bookstore tomorrow, then maybe

There is one book, IIRC, covering Debian.  It is available on-line but
I don't recall the URL.  Search this lists archives at www.debian.org
for it.

Welcome to the pleasures of Debian.

Regards
Wayne
--
Linux - for those that deserve the Very Best!