Re: Reiserfs and disk spindown: separate /var partition?

Craig and Christian,

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, or FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/)
helps decide what can be mounted on a different filesystem. Some
excerpts from the 2.2 standard:

"/bin contains commands that ...are required when no other filesystems
are mounted (e.g. in single user mode)."

"/sbin contains binaries essential for booting, restoring, recovering,
and/or repairing the system in addition to the binaries in /bin."

The FHS also encourages small root partitions, which would seem to imply
that it's a good idea to give /usr a seperate partition. IMHO, in
virtually all cases, /var should definately be in its own partition,
since otherwise you risk filling the root partition with log messages,
etc.

--Rich

(snip)