Re: Reiserfs and disk spindown: separate /var partition?

Christian Jaeger wrote:

> - Are there no problems making /var (and /var/cache) and /tmp
> symlinks to another partition?

Don't make them symlinks; just make them mount points. I always set up
separate filesystems for /var and /tmp.

> - Getting it right for the boot process (should I make / reiser or
> ext2?): I assume I need to have /etc, /bin and /sbin on the root
> partition. What about /usr?

It's never occurred to me to put /etc, /bin, or /sbin on any filesystem
other than the root. I would guess that that would not be a good idea,
since the boot process might (?) need access to them before it gets
around to mounting all the default filesystems (for one thing, the mount
command itself lives in /bin), but I'm not really sure.

/usr can certainly be a separate filesystem, though I've never done so
except when I wanted it to be on a separate hard disk from the root.
Typically, I leave /usr in the root filesystem, though /usr/local or
/usr/share might be separate.

> As a related question: besides disks, are there other pieces of the
> computer you can put to sleep on a server?

Well, the monitor, certainly. Though I usually just turn it off if I'm
not expecting to need to work at the console for a while.

Craig