2.4.5-1 kernel in woody trouble

Hi,

I've installed kernel-image 2.4.5-1 on woody but I get the following
errors when booting:

request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "303"or 03:03
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03

I'm wondering if there are any extra changes I should make before
trying to boot a 2.4.X kernel.  I _do_ have a correct root parameter
on lilo.conf.  The kernel installed all right so the problem is not
there.  Any thoughts?

TIA

jorge santos