Re: Nvidia, GL and root

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:45:56PM +0100, Sean Quinlan wrote:
> On my machine, where you get the signal 11, mine initialises the GL
> renderer, so it may be a problem with the GL libraries, or permissions
> on them.  Here are the permissions on mine:
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 May 18 16:19 /usr/lib/libGL.so -> libGL.so.1.0.1251
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.1251
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       248932 May 18 16:19 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.1251

I seem to have recieved a solution. There are /dev/nvidia* devices which are only
accessible by root. The permissions on libraries are fine. Didn't try it out yet.

> Also, do you have a symlink to the libGL in your quake3 directory?
> When I ran Quake on X3.3.6, I used to have to make a symlink there,
> but its not needed with the nvidia drivers.

You only need the symlink for the Mesa library that comes with quake.

> You could also try starting Quake and specifying the libGL library on
> the command line, like this:
>
> quake3 +set r_gldriver /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.1251

I did. It gets recorded in your q3config file.

> You can also try deleting the .q3a directory in $HOME and then letting
> it recreate the startup files.

Oh yeah? And loose all my fragz!!!??? :)

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde