Re: Kernel 2.4.6 won't boot

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:52:35PM -0500, ktb wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 07:31:30PM +0200, Bostjan Muller wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have just found out that kernel 2.4.6 won't boot on my pentium 200 MMX
> > machine. The same has allready happened with kernel 2.4.6-pre8, but I thought
> > it will be fixed later when stable release comes out. The same kernel boots
> > just ok on my toshiba p75 laptop. Has anyone had any experience like that?
> > The boot stops after this line:
> > FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
> >
> > and than it just stands there doing nothing and does not go on...
> >
> > Has anyone experienced this? This is the first time it has happened to me (on
> > this point). Kernel 2.4.5 however boots ok (but has many bugs which are fixed
> > in 2.4.6).
> >

> Maybe someone on the list has seen "FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077" before
> and knows what to do.  I did a quick search of the archives and on the
> web.  Couldn't find anything definitive.  Just to make sure you did edit
> /etc/lilo.conf to reflect your new kernel configuration and run
> /sbin/lilo didn't you?  What messages surround the line "FDC 0 is a
> post-1991 82077"?

Now that was stupid on my part of course you have run /sbin/lilo.  The
kernel boots after all, just not all the way.  At any rate I looked and I
have the same line in my dmesg and my 2.4.4 is booting fine.  FWIW -

Partition check:
hde: hde1 hde2 < hde5 hde6 >
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
Serial driver version 5.05a (2001-03-20) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

kent

--