Re: Mail from OE to linux and more

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:31:40AM +0000, Lambrecht Joris wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| In a fit of rage (they just shouldn't have said those things out
| loud) i moved from win2k to linux for 'almost' everything i do on my

Woohoo!  You're lucky :-).  (I have to use win2k at work, but with
cygwin and my style it comes as close to *nix as possible -- even with
mutt :-))

| After a lot-of-trial and error i managed to get fetchmail working
| correctly. Apparently the example config files aren't all that great
| :( At least not for me.

Here is a sample that works for me (uhh, it's mine, though I haven't
used it since I don't have a 24/7 conn to ssh in to read it; I just
leave it on the (24/7) solaris server at school and use mutt there)

-------------------------
set daemon 300      # run as a daemon, check every 5 minutes
set postmaster dsh8290@rit.edu # set to receive auth. errors
set no bouncemail   # don't bounce to sender if RFC1894-conformance error
                    # (bounces to postmaster instead (me?))

# if no mda specified, tries to mail (which ISC causes to bounce)

# sendmail needs recepients as argument ;-)
# (%T is used for the local delivery name)

# cs:
#poll cs.rit.edu protocol imap
#    user USERNAME_HERE password "PASSWORD_HERE"
#    is local_username here and wants fetchall mda "/usr/sbin/exim %T"
    #is local_username here and wants fetchall mda "/usr/sbin/procmail -d %T"
------------------------

Procmail is rather complicated and it is easy to get lost in the man
pages.  I found that the following simple pattern works, but I don't
do anything fancy.

---------------
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/filteredinbox

# where to store list messages
LISTPREFIX=$MAILDIR/lists

LOGFILE=/dev/null

###
# rules to move list mail to folders:

# If it is addressed directly to me, put it in this folder
:0:
* ^To.*dsh8290
ToMe

## Debian

# debian-python
:0:
* ^.*debian-python@lists.debian.org
$LISTPREFIX/debian-python

# debian-user
:0:
* ^.*debian-user@lists.debian.org
$LISTPREFIX/debian-user

# newbiedoc
:0:
* ^(From|To|CC).*newbiedoc-discuss
$LISTPREFIX/newbiedoc
---------------

Start with ":0:" (but don't ask me why).  On the next line start with
"* " then put a regex to match in the message headers.  Anything you
want to check for is allowed.  On the next line put the path to the
mail folder, relative to $MAILDIR.

| Sendmail is still bothering me (frustrating is more correct by now).
| All the fetched mail ends up in /var/mail/root (i know it ain't wise

It could be fetchmail that is causing that; see my comments above
about how to use sendmail as MTA.  I used it when I was still on RH.
After I switched to Debian I tried plugging in exim because it was the
default MTA, and I sorta tried using procmail as the MDA too.
Probably the best bet is to get fetchmail to use procmail as MDA
properly.

| Any hints on what i might be overlooking ? I don't want to get stuck
| with some mailclient eating up my mail without a chance to export it
| later on . . . hence i chose the fetchmail/sendmail combo.

Try ssmtp instead.  It is a plugin replacement for sendmail, but it
only hands off the message to a SMTP server.  It is the simplest
solution since you don't need a full-blown MTA.  I use it on win2k
(cygwin) so that I can send mail with mutt.

| As for mailclients on X11. I have tested Mahogany
| (mahogany.sourceforge.net), CSCMail (www.cscmail.net) , Spruce
| (spruce.sourceforge.net) but none of them look satisfying for the
| time being. To slow, to unstable, to barebones ... I'm not really
| fond of MUTT but am using it in the meantime, i need that daily
| dose.

IMO mutt is the best MUA there is.  I've tried a lot of them, but I
haven't found any that beat mutt.  If you want a stable, lightweight
GUI MUA then Balsa is pretty good, but it doesn't have mailing list
support like Mutt does.

-D