Re: [OT] Attn: HP Pavilion 9680C (US) owners

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 06:30:59PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> also sprach User zos (on Tue, 03 Jul 2001 12:19:26PM -0400):
> > I had the same problem with getting drivers for an HP printer once. I find
> > it totally absurd that you pay to buy a printer (or a computer) from a
> > company and when you lose the driver disk you have to literally BUY
> > another one from them. How is this even legal? By owning the printer you
> > automatically should own a driver set and if you lose that, the company
> > should make one easily available to you. Boy, I remember the day when you
> > could just download pretty much any driver you need from the internet. Not
> > on HPs site.....
>
> i would understand that a driver that was developed *after* i bought
> the product could be sold, but i should always have the option to
> download drivers for products that i own - drivers that were current
> when i bought it.

A few years ago I bought an HP T1000e tape drive. It came with drivers for Win95
that didn't work. HP put out an upgrade for free. When 98 came out, they yanked
their 95 software _but_ left their (format-incompatible) DOS software online. I
couldn't get my data off of the tapes, and HP wanted me to pay $30US to buy
their software CD with _all_ versions on it.

<snip>

--
/**
 *  @author Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@telocity.com>