Nvidia, GL and root

I have recently switched from Slackware to Debian ( couldn't wait for the Slack 8.0 any longer :) I have a question. I have an Nvidia RIVA TNT M64 card. I have downloaded and compiled nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel. I understand that some GL based programs ( cthuga being one example ) use Mesa specific functions and will not work with Nvidia GL libraries. But nice apps such as quake3 have been running fine for me in the slackware past. Now I cannot run them unless I am root. Where do I have to change permissions?
--
"The difference between sex and death is that with death you can do it alone and no one is going to make fun of you." Woody Allen