Re: Problem with SCSI drive during installation

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:26:52PM +0200, bgpaolo wrote:

> Debian is very OK distribution.......but.....I have a problem with my SCSI
> magneto optical drive (by Fujitsu) during Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato)
> installation procedure.
> My SCSI card is recognized immediatly (Adaptec 2920 - TMC 3660 Future Domain)
> but as soon as installation finds MO drive, my computer hangs up.
> If I disconnect MO drive and I connect another SCSI drive, for example YAMAHA
> CDRW SCSI drive, installation proceeds regularly.
> Now, since I have NOT problem with MO SCSI drive during Mandrake and RedHat
> installation, why does it happen with Debian? (I love Debian and I wish use it
> with advantage).

I would guess that this is a driver issue, hence a kernel issue.

If you still have RedHat or Mandrake loaded, take a look at the boot
messages (or review them with dmesg).  Note the kernel version and
scsi driver version.  Compare these with versions on the Debian
installation.

If this leads you to believe that kernel 2.4.x might help, the
Debian homepage has a link, I believe, to instructions on running
potato with 2.4.x.  However, I think it is cleaner just to upgrade to
woody at this point.

Hope this rather wild guess is helpful.

Mike