Problem with SCSI drive during installation

Hi.
Debian is very OK distribution.......but.....I have a problem with my SCSI
magneto optical drive (by Fujitsu) during Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato)
installation procedure.
My SCSI card is recognized immediatly (Adaptec 2920 - TMC 3660 Future Domain)
but as soon as installation finds MO drive, my computer hangs up.
If I disconnect MO drive and I connect another SCSI drive, for example YAMAHA
CDRW SCSI drive, installation proceeds regularly.
Now, since I have NOT problem with MO SCSI drive during Mandrake and RedHat
installation, why does it happen with Debian? (I love Debian and I wish use it
with advantage).
I attempted to change ID SCSI, but nothing to do.
What can I do in order to resolve this problem?
I don't like idepci kernel, because I can't work with my MO floppies.
Thank you for your attention and your response.

                                 Paul
--
bgpaolo@tiscalinet.it