apt-get upgrade problem

Maybe this is self evident to some, but I'm stuck ... I'm running unstable, I hadn't upgraded in about a week -- then last night I did and there were 128 packages to upgrade including most of KDE.  After it fetched the archives it chugged about half way though and then puked --

It indicates it needs to add an additional package 'kdelibs3' -- it fetches it just fine but then dies like so:

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3_4%3a2.2.0-0beta1-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-designer.desktop', which is also in package kdevelop
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3_4%3a2.2.0-0beta1-2_i386.deb

I tried 'apt-get -f install' ... it chokes in the same place, I tried 'apt-get remove kdevelop' as I only installed it to play with it -- but remove complaines that there are unmet dependancies and suggests running apt-get -f install --

I tried another apt-get update to see if there were new packages -- nada, both this morning and last evening.

How do I fix this? ... I'm afraid to shut down the machine (or even logout) as half of the new KDE stuff is installed, but 60 some packages are still pending ... I know some stuff is broken, konqueror is dead, won't load -- since kdm is active I'm afraid if I boot or log out I could be in a jam getting back in (at least in any normal kind of way).

Pointers appreciated.

Hank