Re: Printing Question

Hi Larry,

I CCd this to the debian-user list in order to preserve the thread.

On 07/02/01 23:16:38 -0500, Lance Simmons wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 08:35:35PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
>
> > My parallel port is still being detected at boot, here's the excerpt
> > from dmesg:
> >
> >   parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
> >   parport_probe: succeeded
> >   parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 880
>
> Are you sure this line identifying EPSON was displayed when you
> couldn't print to /dev/lp0? I have an EPSON Stylus COLOR 900,
> and sometimes the appropriate dmesg line _doesn't_ appear, and
> when that happens, I can't print. I haven't figured out a way to
> fix that without turning off the printer, rebooting, and turning
> the printer on. I haven't noticed any pattern to when it fails
> to be detected.

Yes, that came from dmesg on my last reboot, and I wasn't able to
print. I took your advice and turned off the printer and rebooted.
After logging back in, I was able to print. That's strange. But
knowing about it is half the battle.

I'm able to print text and pdf files, but I'm having some problems
with ps. I'll look into that tomorrow. At least I know I'm not going
crazy.

> If you can dual boot into Windows, you might check to see if you
> get an error message when you try to print. A couple of times
> I've tried this and discovered the windows driver was reporting
> a paper error (even though the paper looked just fine to me).
> When I jiggled the paper and got the windows error messages to
> go away, and then rebooted into linux, I could print again.

I didn't get that far, it started behaving after a reboot.

> I hope someone has some good suggestions, so I can figure out
> how to get my printer to work without having to reboot!

Yes, it would be nice to get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the
tip/insight/help!
--
Mark Wagnon <mwagnon1@home.com>