Re: buying a computer

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 04:15:13PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
| I am thinking of replacing my now rather elderly Pentium II 233 Mhz

This ought to run just fine.  You're not using M$ Windows, now are
you? <wink>

| My main question is -- can anyone recommend a good firm to custom-build
| computers for Linux? It would be a big plus if said firm knows enough to
| be able to install Debian on it. I might do a reinstall, but it would be

Not quite a firm, but I would be willing to do it (with the proper
release from fear of lawsuit <wink>) :-).  I live in New York, though,
and I don't know how bad shipping costs would be.

| greatly reassuring to know that it works on the computer in the first
| place. I would hate to buy a new computer and find Debian refuses to work
| properly on it. That is the stuff of nightmares.

That's why I buy parts and put them together myself -- I only buy
parts that work :-).  My first machine came in a box, but I had some
problems with it (Compaq uses micro-towers with miniature power
supplies and no room inside for expansion).

-D