Re: .Xauthority and kdm

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:22:59PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:03:02PM +0200, tim wrote:
> > tim@tim:~$ su
>                ^^^
> 	    Where is the '-'?
>
> Never "su", alway "su -".  There is a reason for it.  It is not to
> hassle you with having to change directories.

Could you elaborate on the "reason?"  My understanding is when using "-"
you are dropped into a login shell and it is like you logged in as root
directly.  I've read many accounts where people say you shouldn't log in
as root but login as a regular user and then "su" to root.  Course a
person should probably always "/bin/su" or "/bin/su -" to avoid trojans but
I digress.
Thanks,
kent

--