Re: .Xauthority and kdm

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:03:02PM +0200, tim wrote:
> tim@tim:~$ su
               ^^^
	    Where is the '-'?

Never "su", alway "su -".  There is a reason for it.  It is not to
hassle you with having to change directories.

> Password:
> tim:/home/tim# xawtv
> This is xawtv-3.53.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.5)
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Error: Can't open display: :0

1st solution (lame, don't run x programs as root):

$ su -
# export DISPLAY=:0
# export XAUTHORITY=~tim/.Xauthority
# xapp &

2nd solution (superior):

# adduser tim video
# exit
$ newgrp
$ xawtv &

You see, debian has this all figured out for you.  Tv devices are owned
by group "video".  Just make sure that you're in that group and you're set.

> When I start into runlevel 2 and startx I set the permission with "xhost
> myhost". This is secure enough for me because its my privat firewalled
> network. But xhost doesnt work in runlevel 5...

?  This is news to me.  How come?

Cheers,

Joost